Mood Stabilizers For Depression
The disease is characterized by severe mood swings. You can control your mood swings by following exclusive tips. So you can stop your depression or mania.
• Taking mood stabilizers for depression to maintain and balance the mood.
• Treat the bout of depression or mania.
Mood Stabilizers For Depression
Freediettips provide a list of mood stabilizers and most of them are also used in the treatment of epilepsy. However, it is one of the first drugs that has been shown to be beneficial in stabilizing the mood.
- Natural Ways To Increase Red Blood Cells
- Best Steps to Regrow Hair
- Green Tea Before Bed
- Mental health activities
- How Much Water To Drink A Day?
- Why Young People Addicted Tobacco?
This drug has been used as a mood stabilizer for depression more than 50 years ago, but its mechanics are not yet clear. Lithium can be used to treat depression or obsessive-compulsive disorder. The level of lithium in the blood must be controlled so that it is not too small and not high in toxicity.
The treatment should initiate by a psychiatrist who will request a laboratory test of the lithium blood level in the weeks. Before the start of treatment must confirm the dose validity described to the patient.
The amount of fluid in the body has a severe effect on the level of lithium blood. If the proportion of lithium in the blood increase, then the risk of side effects also increased and may lead to poisoning. So it is very important to drink a large amount of water (how much water to drink a day). When doing a lot of work then should reduce the drinking of coffee and tea because they increase the loss of fluids with the epidermis.
If the treatment is not useful or there are other side effects, there are other ways to discuss it with a psychiatrist. Lithium may take three months or more to show its effect, so it is important to continue taking the medicine even if mood swings persist during this period.
Mood stabilizers side effects:
These symptoms may appear during the first weeks of treatment and may uncomfortable for the patient but often disappear and improve over time.
The most common symptoms are:
- The excessive feeling of thirst.
- Increase the yield more than normal.
- Hair Quality Changing
- Lack of interest, sexual desires
- Overweight within time.
- Decrease the coordination.
- Reduce the memory
- Reduce the concentration
Read Also: How To Treat Malaria Naturally
Less visible side effects (which can be reduced by reducing the lithium dose):
- A slight shiver in the hand.
- Blurred vision.
- Muscle weakness.
- Cases of diarrhea.
- Feel weakness
If the proportion of lithium is high in the blood then it may show the following symptoms:
- Speech Difficulty.
When you feel these symptoms, you should contact your doctor directly.
In the first weeks of treatment, you need to check the lithium level in the blood several times to confirm its percentage in blood. In some cases, lithium may take long periods of time to damage the kidneys or thyroid gland. So you should check from time to time to make sure that they functioning normally. Lithium therapy may require when kidney and thyroid problem appears.
How to take care of yourself:
- Eat balanced meals.
- Drink sufficient amounts of non-sweetened liquids and thus maintain the balance of salts in the body.
- Stay away from drinking large amounts of tea, coffee, and cold drinks because it will increase the secretion and thus affect the level of lithium in the body.
Other mood stabilizers for depression:
• Lithium is very effective because it reduces relapses from 30-40%.
• Sodium valproate is also effective but not administered to women of reproductive age.
The recent studies showing that antipsychotics such as olanzapine have mood-stabilizing properties.
When to start taking mood stabilizers medications?
This is very important to prevent future episodes of “prevention”. After one seizure, it is very difficult to predict to another seizure occurrence. So it is useful to begin treatment with proven medication after the first seizure, especially if the seizure is very severe.
How long should I take the medicine?
At least for two years after the first seizure, and for at least five years if there are factors that increase the incidence of injury. For example recurrent episodes of seizures, depression, alcoholism, addictions or persistent social stress.
The psychotherapy may be useful for depression and mania.
Psychotherapy includes the following:
- Psychological education and learn more about the disease.
- Monitor the mood to be able to know the mood swings.
- Control the mood to decrease the depression.
- Help you to develop your overall ability to live with the disease.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy to treat depression.
How are the episodes of depression?
Antidepressants should be taken for the mood stabilizers. The most commonly used drugs are SSRIs or serotonin inhibitors. These drugs affect a chemical found in the brain called serotonin. So if you have mood swings then anti-depressants may change the bout from depression to mania. Therefore it is advisable to increase the dosage of the prescribed medication for mood and not to take antidepressants. Antidepressants should be taken at least for eight weeks to observe a marked change in mood.
Tags: Health & Fitness